Jul 30, 2008

A Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On . . .

We had an earthquake in my neck of the woods yesterday.

I have lived in California all of my life and suffered through more earthquakes than I care to remember. They're sneaky little devils. They come with no warning signs.

My middle sister broke a couple ribs during the 1994 earthquake.

She has always been the type to panic first and think last.

At the time she lived in a very cool, Turn-of-the-Century house that she and her husband had gutted and were remodeling. They were living in the house while it was under construction. The earthquake hit and my sister attempted to make a mad dash from her bedroom, wearing only socks and not much else. She had just gotten out of the shower and was getting dressed when the shaking started. She stumbled towards her daughters room in a complete and utter state of panic, screaming and babbling that they were all going to die. She almost made it. On the way she bounced off a desk in her path, sliding and skidding on the smooth wood floors all the way to the staircase where she executed a perfect swan dive right off the edge and down the stairs, falling in a nearly naked crumpled heap at her surprised husband and daughter's feet. During the remodel they had removed the railing and there was nothing in its place to stop her. Her husband took her to the hospital where she was patched up by the doctors in the emergency room. I think she was given a lifetime supply of Xanax that day.

I think about that every time an earthquake happens since then.

Fortunately nobody was hurt in yesterday's earthquake and everybody and everything is fine.

I don't think I will ever get used to them. They get to me every time.


8 comments:

Mamahut said...

I don't think I would ever get used to it either. That is some scary business.

Anonymous said...

I like my dirt to stay firmly in place beneath my feet. I can't imagine....

Glad you - and everyone else on the West Coast - came through this one OK.

jen721 said...

I am glad nobody was hurt. Your sister was lucky (in the scheme of things).

Gives me one more reason to stay in the midwest.

Swirl Girl said...

I have lived here for 4 years after braving blizzards in Boston, Hurricanes in Florida and the 17 year cicadas in Metro DC. And, this is the 3rd shaker I have felt. I wouldn't trade CA weather for anything in the world!!

sometimes no warning is a good thing. no time to freak out.

Candid Carrie said...

I can barely handle reading about it. Anxiety issues. Even though I love your writing style and I know everything is going to be alright, the entire idea of the earth splitting scares the heck out of me.

Pam said...

came via cre8buzz...glad you all are safe. i remember feeling the earth quakes in vegas at times. i live in no. cali now.

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net said...

I grew up in alaska so we had lots of earthquakes too. I remember one where I was in a grocery store in the condiment aisle so jars of mustard and ketchup came flying off the shelves and breaking all over the place. I ran like hell to get out of the aisle and made it with out getting a bit of icky goo on me

glad you're all ok this time

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I've never experienced an earthquake...I just can't imagine how it feels. They were showing video on the news of a courtroom. And a few people got under desks. The rest of the people just sat there looking at everyone else like they were idiots. Maybe this one was just not a big deal? Maybe?