Apr 24, 2008

On the way to HIM...the High School and College Years...

In ninth grade I had a crush on a guy named Dave. So did every girl in my class. I guess Dave liked me for a nano-second too, although I never knew until it was too late or so the story goes. I like that story so I'm stickin' with it. He was my first unrequited love.

Tom...hot, hot hot, but not a brain in his head. We went to a school formal together. We stopped at Taco Bell on the way home from the formal and he bought 5 tacos and stuck them in his Volkswagen glove compartment to keep them warm. He ordered a Pepsi and didn't understand the concept of Coke and Pepsi being two different drinks as he and the counter guy went back and forth saying those two words over and over. I intervened. Tom got lost trying to leave my street after he dropped me off at home. It was a cul-de-sac. I think he's still driving in circles sipping his Coke, or Pepsi, and keeping his tacos toasty warm in his glove box.

Then there was a real boyfriend, or two, or more in there somewhere between my 11th and 12th grade. But they don't count.

Let's move on to college and Jessie. Jessie drove a bright yellow Beetle. Jessie was tall, dark, and handsome. I had a major crush on Jessie. Jessie was also missing a few brain cells. Jessie saw me on quite possibly the worst and most humiliating day of my life. It was the day I decided I did not need to wear a bra under the incredibly cool tuxedo shirt I found and bought at the local thrift store.


The day began as very overcast and gloomy.

It heated up rather quickly as I drove to my college campus.

By the time I got there it was close to an inferno.

I took off the cute jacket I had planned to wear over the shirt. Did I mention that it was about as see-through as a spider web? I jumped out of my car, rolled up my sleeves and tried to keep from perspiring on my long walk through the parking lot to class where Jessie was waiting for me. I came around the corner and there he was, standing outside the classroom door talking to friends. He looked up and smiled at me. I smiled back and felt giddy with excitement at just seeing him. As I got closer I saw his facial expression change and his eyes travelled down below my chin and across my chest region and back up to my face and then back down again as his mouth hung open and drool escaped.

Sunlight was streaming through the window and illuminating my whole body as I got closer to him and his group. His group of friends were staring too. I thought I must look pretty fabulous that day and was really proud of my outfit.

I strutted up to the guys and said, "Hi," with supreme confidence. Jessie turned and broke into a run, straight into a wall. I looked around and noticed some pretty strange smiles coming from his friends and a couple snickers escaping with some elbow jabs. I looked down, where everyone else seemed to be fixated on my body and saw nothing but skin. I might as well have been naked. You could see through my shirt as if I wasn't wearing anything at all. I quickly covered myself up with my books and turned around and ran to my car frantically searching in the back seat for my jacket. I skipped class that day.

I had to go shopping and purchase a nun's habit for my entry into the convent seeing as I couldn't possibly go back to the school I was attending and face those guys again. As for Jessie...I have no idea what happened to him...I immediately joined the Carmelite Sisters, took a vow of silence and didn't have contact with another man until my great escape years later...and that's when I met James....
to be continued...

No comments: